- The formidable cockroach can live without a head for days.
- Cockroaches can hold their breath for long periods of time, surviving 30-plus minutes submerged underwater.
Common McKinney Cockroaches
It’s interesting to note that many kinds of roaches live in this part of Texas, but three types stand out as commonplace:
- American Cockroach: These insects are what many people think of when they hear the word “roach”. These brown bugs are big (the largest cockroaches in Texas) and can fly. They feature tan to yellowish-colored markings on the head.
- German Cockroach: The smallest of the three, these roaches are a lighter brown and do not fly. They do, however, tend to invade in large numbers.
- Smokybrown Cockroach: This bug is also large but not quite as big as the American Cockroach. Named for its distinct dark coloring, this insect has notably long antennae.
Dangers Of Cockroaches Exposed
It is no secret that most folks find these pests gross, but it is important to understand that cockroaches actually pose health risks. These bacteria-spreading critters are closely linked to dysentery, cholera, typhoid fever, salmonellosis, E. coli, and diarrhea. Additionally, bodily excretions from cockroaches can lead to allergies and exacerbate asthmatic symptoms, particularly in children.
When residents learn where these nasty bugs spend their time, they may not be so shocked about the dangers roaches bring. While some roaches are content to hide in outside spaces, other cockroaches like to run amuck in decaying substances, garbage, and even raw sewage, blissfully picking up pathogens along the way.
Taking a stand against these filthy bugs can be a homeowner’s best defense. Prevention can be the trick to effective cockroach control in North Dallas. Take measures like:
- Address Moisture: Any leaky pipes, faucets, or spigots should be properly repaired to deter roaches. Consider having a vapor barrier installed in the crawl space to further protect against moisture.
- Keep The Yard Neat: Cockroaches enjoy shady, humid conditions; avoid keeping this type of habitat near the home. Trim shrubs closely, use cedar mulch in flowerbeds, and remove any piles of yard debris.
- Seal Off Entry Points: Locate any cracks, gaps, and holes where cockroaches could come inside, then seal them. Use caulk and weatherstripping for best results. Big D Pest & Termite Services can advise homeowners on areas where roaches could gain entry.
- Stay On Top Of Housework: Decluttering should be a regular task to eliminate any possible nesting sites. Be sure to pitch paper products and transfer items housed in cardboard boxes to plastic bins that close. Clean up every single time after dealing with food. Wipe down counters, sweep, and mop. Ensure food is off-limits to roaches by sealing it up in air-tight containers. Take the trash out frequently and use garbage cans with locking lids.
Curtailing A Cockroach Infestation
A do-it-yourself (DIY) approach to tackling a cockroach infestation can actually hinder successful extermination as these creatures are notoriously hard to kill on a large scale. Roaches are masters at hiding and can even become immune to over-the-counter(OTC) pest sprays. The trick to home cockroach control in McKinney is to call in professionals. When homeowners don’t have time to waste, our experts at Big D Pest & Termite Services can eliminate cockroach problems permanently.