Each year, millions of people contract mosquito-borne diseases, while hundreds of thousands succumb to the various diseases spread by this pest. If you're concerned about having mosquitoes on your property, contact a licensed McKinney pest control firm for assistance. They'll ensure no mosquitoes are left to harm you or your family.
General Information About Mosquitoes In McKinney
Mosquitoes are tiny, flying insects that are well-known for their itchy bites. These pests get their name from the Spanish word "Mosca," which means fly. There are more than 3000 species of mosquitoes found worldwide, and about 176 of those species can be found in North America. Mosquitoes can be found in various habitats, including forests, marshes, meadows, and even in urban areas. They need standing water to lay their eggs, so you'll often find them near ponds, lakes, rivers, and other bodies of water. However, they don't need large amounts of water to survive; as little as a tablespoon is enough for them to lay their eggs.
While most people think of mosquitoes as simply annoying pests, they can be pretty dangerous. These insects are vectors for a variety of diseases, including:
- Malaria: This is a mosquito-borne disease caused by a single-celled parasite. Malaria is estimated to cause more than 200 million infections each year.
- West Nile Virus: West Nile virus is a viral infection transmitted by mosquitoes. There are an estimated 3000 cases of West Nile virus each year in the U.S.
- Zika Virus: Zika virus is a mosquito-borne disease caused by a single-celled parasite. There were over 5000 reported cases in the U.S in 2019.
- Dengue Fever: Like the Zika Virus-Dengue fever is a mosquito-borne disease caused by a single-celled parasite. It's estimated to infect more than 100 million each year.
While most of these diseases are found in tropical or subtropical areas, they can still be a threat to the U.S mainland. Hence, contact pest control in McKinney to get rid of mosquitoes for good.
Three Natural Mosquito Repellants
There are a variety of mosquito repellents on the market, but not all of them are safe to use. If you're looking for natural home remedies to keep mosquitoes away, try one of these three options:
- Lavender keeps mosquitoes away by masking human scents.
- Citronella effectively keeps mosquitoes away. It also has a pleasant aroma.
- Clove oil is a natural insecticide that's effective at killing mosquitoes.
All of these repellents can be used in a diffuser, or you can add a few drops of the oil to water and spray it on your skin. For further clarification, consult a pest control firm in McKinney.
Spraying for Mosquitoes In McKinney
One of the best ways to kill mosquitoes and get rid of them for good is to spray your property with pesticides. There are a variety of sprays available that can be used to kill mosquitoes, including:
- Bifen IT Insecticide
- Suspend SC
- Demand CS Insecticide
When spraying for mosquitoes, it's essential to follow the directions on the label. Be sure to wear protective clothing, including long-sleeved shirts, long pants, and gloves. All of these products are available at your local hardware store, or you can contact a certified McKinney pest control firm for assistance.
Control Mosquitoes The Easy Way With Big D Pest & Termite Services
If you're tired of dealing with mosquitoes, contact Big D Pest & Termite Services. For over 30 years, we've kept McKinney and Northern Texas free of pests, including mosquitoes. We use cutting-edge technology and general housekeeping practices to control mosquitoes, and also offer a variety of services that can be tailored to your needs.