A Simple Guide To Avoiding Cockroaches In Frisco
March 20, 2023 - Cockroaches
A common mistake many home and business owners make is only contacting companies for pest control in Frisco when there’s an active issue. Pests like cockroaches require an ongoing defensive stance, and by the time you realize you have a cockroach problem, you likely have a large infestation. Their infestations are hard to alleviate, and the probability of recurrence is high, as cockroaches slip through little gaps and rapidly multiply. Considering they have the ability to make humans ill with their germs, you can’t afford to be indifferent about cockroaches.
A lot of people don’t know where to begin when it comes to stopping insects. Often, they resort to buying cockroach control products. These products fail to address an entire infestation, and many kinds of cockroaches are becoming resistant to common over-the-counter treatments. If these items work at all, the results will only be brief. Use this guide from Big D Pest & Termite Services to learn more about these pests and how you can successfully keep cockroaches away.
Signs Of Cockroach Activity To Look For
Cockroaches prefer darkness and usually crawl around at night, so catching them in broad daylight is an indication of a larger problem. If you see brown or tan ones that are roughly ½ to ⅝ of an inch long, it’s likely a German cockroach. This species runs rather than flies, and has all-black nymphs that are wingless. American cockroaches are burgundy and 1 ¼ to 2 ⅛ inches long. You’ll have to worry about your paper and fabric materials being damaged by these bugs. Brown-banded cockroaches are distinguished by their striped wings. Size-wise, the pests are about half an inch long.
Aside from sightings, other obvious signs of cockroaches are:
- Odors: Cockroaches constantly use bodily chemicals to communicate with one another. This matter is musty-smelling. It can also shift the taste and smell of food.
- Eggs: Some cockroach eggs are red or tan, while others are brown or black. They appear like capsules.
- Discarded skin: Pieces of cockroach exoskeleton might be found around your property.
- Fecal matter: If droppings aren’t rounded, they are flaky. In terms of color, cockroach waste will be dark.
Reach out to us at Big D Pest & Termite Services when you notice any of these signs of cockroaches in your home.
Problems Cockroaches Cause In Frisco
It will be challenging to stay healthy if you’re around cockroaches since these pests pick up bacteria on their skin and their spiny legs from moving through filthy settings. When they creep across surfaces or in food packages, they can contaminate everything with the pathogens they've picked up. Their saliva and excrement can also contain microbes that can make you ill. spit or discharge urine and feces. A few conditions cockroaches are linked to are dysentery, salmonellosis, and gastroenteritis. Breathing around their dead skin can intensify asthma and allergies, particularly in children, the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems.
Three Things You Can Do Right Now To Avoid Cockroaches
To decrease influxes of cockroaches, you can do these three things:
- Repair access points and attractants. Patch up cracks and crevices in the foundation. Fix moisture problems such as leaks and drips. Take out tattered door sweeps and window screens and replace with new, intact items.
- Be detailed when cleaning the kitchen. Wash all the dirty dishes, and thoroughly scrub the counters. Make sure cabinets and pantries are free of crumbs. Sweep and mop floors. Don’t leave food and garbage out; put them in secure canisters.
- Maintain a neat yard. Snip plants and move them away from the property. Mow the lawn often. Gather and discard debris. Flush gutters and vents.
Cockroaches are always searching for food and water. You can reduce their supply with these actions to help keep them out of your home.
The Many Benefits Of Year-Round Pest Control
If you receive year-round care from us at Big D Pest & Termite Services, you’ll always have something in place to block cockroaches. No more stressing about potential germs and sickness because of these insects. We have safe sprays, granules, perimeter treatments, and more. Call us today and get rid of cockroaches!