The Right Way To Keep Mosquitoes Away From Your McKinney Lawn
June 19, 2020
Ever feel like controlling mosquitoes means taking one step forward and three steps back? During the summer in Texas, mosquitoes can be frustrating to deal with on your own. It may feel like your efforts aren’t leading to results.
The good news is, you don’t need to keep fighting mosquitoes alone. Instead, contact Big D Pest & Termite Services for Mckinney mosquito control that actually works. Here’s what you need to know about keeping mosquitoes away from your yard and your home.
What You Should Know About Mosquito Behavior
Mosquitoes are small flying insects known for their itchy bites. They reproduce in large numbers and look for blood meals throughout the summer. But not all mosquitoes drink your blood—only female mosquitoes bite. They need blood from mammals in order to breed and lay eggs. They also need water in which to lay eggs, which is why they are often worst around bodies of water such as lakes, ponds, and swamps. Mosquitoes don’t travel far in their lifetime. This means that they often congregate near the water source where they breed. In order to prevent mosquitoes, you need to stop them from breeding.
The Dangers Of Mosquito Bites
Before looking into prevention methods, we need to talk about why mosquito prevention is so important. Besides being itchy, mosquito bites can transmit dangerous diseases. Mosquitoes have been linked to diseases such as Chikungunya, Dengue, malaria, West Nile virus, and Zika. Even without transmitting diseases, mosquito bites can cause allergic reactions for some people. This may result in swelling, rashes, and even anaphylaxis.
How To Reduce Mosquitoes In Your Yard
Now that you know why it’s so important to prevent mosquitoes, here are some tips.
- Clean pools, ponds, and other bodies of water regularly. If you have a body of water in your yard, you need to keep it clean and moving in order to prevent mosquitoes from breeding there.
- Remove other water sources. Mosquitoes breed in standing water. They can find water in something as small as a bucket, a birdbath, or even a toy truck collecting rainwater. Make sure there is no water in your yard.
- Trim your plants. Mosquitoes nest and hide in trees, thick grass, and other plants. To keep them away, it helps to keep your yard well landscaped and trimmed.
- Install screens at each door and window. Even if mosquitoes get into your yard, you can keep them out of your house with screens, as long as they do not have tears or holes.
- Call Big D Pest & Termite Services and learn about our mosquito fogging program, which will protect your home and your family from mosquitoes.
Mosquitoes can feel impossible to deal with alone. Fortunately for you, Big D Pest & Termite Services is ready to serve homeowners in McKinney with mosquito treatment that really works. The right way to protect yourself from mosquitoes is to team up with the professionals. Call today to find out how we can get mosquitoes out of your yard and keep them away. Enjoy summer the way you should, outside and free of bites.