What You Should Avoid Doing To Get Rid Of Termites In McKinney
January 15, 2022 - Termites
Termites are the cause of billions of dollars worth of damage each year to American homes and businesses. The worst part is that many people don’t know what to do once they realize they have a termite problem.
To keep this from happening to your McKinney, Texas home, you should know the proper way to approach a termite infestation.
First, you want to make sure you are dealing with termites and not another wood-destroying pest like carpenter ants. Correctly identifying any pest is essential to their elimination, as effective treatments will vary from pest to pest. Termites, especially termite swarmers, are often confused with flying ants. Depending on the species and caste, termite appearances can vary. In general, termites are a cream color to dark brown and will brown between ¼ to ½ of an in long.
Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Termite Control Methods
When faced with a termite infestation, many homeowners choose to handle the problem independently using different DIY methods. These DIY home pest control methods include:
- Orange Oil- is used as a spot treatment to kill termites and their eggs. However, orange oil only works against drywood termites, and while they are one of many species in the country, subterranean termites are the most common.
- Vinegar- is used to spray on termites directly to kill them.
- Cardboard Traps- setting out wet cardboard is believed to attract termites; however, it will not kill them, so you have to destroy the cardboard after.
- Heat- use high temperatures between 120 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit to heat the wood where termites live.
- Boric Acid- although it’s effective, it can be challenging to implement and won’t target the entire infestation.
- Over-The-Counter Sprays- like the other methods listed above, over-the-counter sprays can be used to target termites directly.
While some of these methods may seem adequate, the truth is they won’t get rid of entire infestations. This will leave the remaining pests to continue to reproduce and cause damage. The best way to keep your property termite-free is with tried and true prevention methods and assistance from professionals.
Effective Termite Prevention Methods
Several methods are effective in helping to keep termites from finding your property attractive. These methods include the following:
- Limit soil to wood contact around the foundation of your home. Instead, use crushed rocks between any grass or soil and your home.
- Store firewood a good distance from the house.
- Repair or replace moisture-damaged wood.
- Address other moisture issues such as leaks, clogged gutters, and removing other organic debris from your yard that can hold moisture.
The best way to prevent termites from infesting your McKinney home is with regular home inspections by experts.
Professional Termite Control Methods
The only way to truly get rid of an active termite infestation is with professional assistance. For McKinney, Texas residents, Big D Pest & Termite Services is your go-to for termites and pests alike. We offer several termite control treatments and systems, which include:
- Pre-Construction Treatments- offers protection for homes before they are built.
- Liquid Treatments- a barrier placed in the soil around the perimeter of your home; can also be used for spot treatment.
- Baiting Systems- bait stations attract termites that will bring the bait back to colonies, effectively eliminating them.
- Wood-Destroying Pest Reports- assists in the home buying process for loan approval and gives you peace of mind that you are buying a termite-free home.
Whether you are building, buying, or have lived in a home for many years, you can be protected against termites when you call Big D Pest & Termite Services.