Should I Be Worried About The Mice I Spot In My McKinney Home?
February 28, 2022 - Rodents
Imagine it: you're rummaging around in your attic, searching for those holiday lights, excited to decorate and feel festive. You notice rodent droppings, but you just wrinkle your nose and keep on looking. There’s a hole in the box labeled "Holidays," but you don’t notice because you’ve finally found what you’re looking for. When you open it up and pull out the lights, your jaw drops, because something has chewed right through the wires!
Unfortunately for property owners in our area, this is not all that uncommon. Mouse infestations in McKinney are rather common, and the damage they cause can be impressive and irreparable. They can infiltrate your attic, your basement, and pretty much any room in your home, so long as the conditions suit them.
How To Tell If You Have Rodents In Your McKinney House
If you have a mouse infestation, there will be a number of signs littered around your home indicating their presence. Here are several ways to identify a mouse invasion:
- Droppings: One of the first signs of a mouse infestation is the presence of mouse droppings in your home. You will find these small, oblong feces around the places where the mice have been burrowing and building their nests, so you are more likely to see these near boxes and other clutter where they may be setting up shop.
- Gnawed material items: Mice have teeth that never stop growing. Like a teething baby, they need to chew on things in order to relieve the pressure from this. Another sign that mice are in your home will be items that have clearly been chewed and gnawed on, such as wires, plastic, cardboard, and furniture.
- Musky odor: House mice emit a musky odor that is unmistakable. This will especially be present in the areas where mice are building their nests, such as in boxes or other tight spaces in your attic and basement.
- Tracks: If there is a lot of dust, mice will leave tracks or footprints. They will be in parallel lines, and sometimes their tails will leave drag marks.
Do Mice In McKinney Bite Humans?
Luckily for us humans, mice are not naturally aggressive and don’t go out looking for fights. They typically only bite if they feel threatened or cornered. As long as you are not trying to handle the mice, it is unlikely that mice in your McKinney home will bite you. However, if you are bitten or scratched by one, be sure to seek immediate medical treatment, as mice carry a plethora of dangerous diseases that can be passed onto humans through biting and scratching.
How Do I Keep Mice Out Of My McKinney Attic Naturally?
There are plenty of chemical treatments available on the market to rid your attic of mice, but there are also plenty of natural, more humane ways of preventing mice from getting into your home in the first place. Here are some ideas:
- Caulk up holes in the house: Mice are capable of squeezing through virtually any sized hole, no matter how small. Go around your house and plug up any hole you see. This will make it much more difficult for mice to gain entry into your house.
- Tidy up clutter: Mice are burrowing animals. Where there is clutter, there will be mice trying to build their nests among it. Clean up your attic and basement (and your whole home, for that matter) and organize things so they don’t provide a safe-looking place for mice to squeeze in and set up their nests.
- Proper storage: One of the main reasons mice try to invade homes is because of the easy access to food. Properly store your food in containers that mice can’t chew through, and be sure to clean up crumbs and spills thoroughly and immediately, as that will discourage mice from wanting to invade.
How Can I Get Rid Of Mice In My House In McKinney?
If you already have a mouse infestation in your McKinney home, there are steps you can take to try to eradicate the issue on your own. You can purchase traps and poison bait at local stores; however, these don’t typically resolve the entire issue. Mice are prolific breeders, and ridding your home of a few rarely takes care of the whole population.
The best thing to do in this situation is to contact Big D Pest & Termite Services for rodent control solutions in McKinney. We have knowledgeable technicians who understand the behavior of mice and have the tools and skills to locate the entire population and safely and effectively remove them from your home. We will also work with you to ensure they do not return. Call Big D Pest & Termite Services today! Reach out to us today to get started with pest control for your McKinney home or business.