Everything You Need To Know About Effective Rodent Control In McKinney
December 15, 2021 - Rodents
Winter weather in McKinney isn't terribly cold, but it's definitely cold enough for rodents like mice and rats to search for warmer shelter. Rodent infestations are a year-round problem, but they're much more likely during the colder months of the year, and they'll do anything to get inside when the weather turns. Prevention is always crucial for dangerous infestations, so how can you keep something out that has an uncanny proficiency for getting inside?
Which Rodents McKinney Residents Have To Worry About
With over 1500 different rodents in the world, you may be thinking that your McKinney home is at risk of all kinds of rodent infestations, but most species don't like indoor conditions. There are only four rodent species in McKinney that actively infest homes:
- Norway rats – 16 to 20 inches long, brown to black fur with lighter underbellies
- Roof rats – 15 to 18 inches long, black fur
- House mice – six to eight inches long, tawny brown fur with lighter underbellies
- Deer mice – five to seven inches long, gray to light brown fur with cream-colored underbellies
Rodents like rats and mice are dangerous pests for a variety of reasons. They have strong, sharp teeth that can chew through all kinds of material, from paper products to even metal, leading to very hazardous structural problems. They'll chew through load-bearing wooden beams, electrical wires, and plumbing. They also carry all kinds of pathogens, such as gastroenteritis, salmonella, rat-bite fever, hantavirus, and plague. If one of these pests feels threatened enough to attack, a nasty bite mark won't be the only thing you have to worry about.
Things You Can Do Around Your McKinney Home To Prevent A Rodent Infestation
Preventing rodents from infesting your McKinney home is a challenging task. They can fit through some of the smallest holes, and if a hole isn't big enough, they can simply chew until it is. It may seem impossible to protect your home from an infestation, but while they're not a complete guarantee, preventative measures can still reduce your chances of dealing with rodents:
- Repair any potential entry points around the exterior of your home – focus on areas like foundation, broken siding, exposed wood, damaged roof and trim, and around pipes and wires
- Clean up any yard debris and rubbish piles around your property
- Remove overgrown underbrush, and trim low-hanging tree branches and bushes away from the exterior of your home
- Keep tight-fitting lids on all indoor and outdoor trash cans
- Clean out the gutters regularly
- Address any moisture issues such as leaky pipes, compacted soil, and moisture-retaining rooms; consider investing in a dehumidifier
- Store all pantry food, including pet food, within airtight plastic containers
- Never leave food sitting out overnight
- Sweep, mop, and vacuum regularly
- Wipe down counters, food prep areas, and dining tables daily
The Most Effective Solution To Rodent Infestations In McKinney
Dangerous infestations aren't just hazardous to have in your home, they're also difficult to attempt to exterminate on your own. Rodents can be very aggressive when they're provoked, and traps will only push them farther into hiding. If you want effective, reliable pest control for your McKinney home, then you want Big D Pest & Termite Services.
Big D Pest & Termite Services has been in business for over 30 years, so you can rest assured knowing that we're experts in the pest control field. We use only the highest quality pest control products available on the market, and we guarantee every treatment we provide, so we don't rest until we know your home is fully protected and pest-free. Don't let rodents ruin your holiday plans, get in contact with us today to start discussing your options.